Description and Main Purpose of Job:
During the Graduate programme, the Engineer shall work as part of a team responsible for providing an engineered and safe execution to any task set to them by the Engineering Team Lead, Lead Engineer, Project Manager or their nominated delegate such as Senior Project Engineer or Project Engineer. A number of placements will also be completed within the Company’s support function departments where tasks will be provided to them by the relevant department or functional Manager.
The Graduate Project Engineer will ultimately work as part of a project team on operational and developmental Subsea Construction or Inspection, Repair and Maintenance project activities. Whilst appointed to a project, the Graduate Project Engineer shall be accountable for assisting with the preparations relating to a certain portion of the work scope, if not several parts. Additionally, the Graduate Project Engineer is required to gain an understanding of all aspects of the Project and Business including travel to onshore and offshore worksites in order to learn about the delivery of work scopes according to approved construction procedures and business processes.
Whilst appointed to Tenders, the Graduate Project Engineer shall assist the development of an optimised installation methodology to support a proposal, ensuring all technical requirements are adequately addressed.
Accountability and Key Performance Areas:
• Sound knowledge of and adherence to the Business Management System (BMS) framework and governance
• Demonstrate behaviours and attitude which align to and support Bibby Offshore core values
• Ensuring that all aspects of the Graduate training programme are completed to schedule adhering to the Business Management System (Engage) processes and procedures and IMechE reports
• Ensuring that all engineering is executed safely and efficiently, is of a high quality and in compliance with relevant industry codes and standards.
• Ensuring Project, Engineering Support Services, Survey, Inspection, Sub Contractor and Vessel interfaces are managed effectively
• Recognise limitations in personal expertise and seek guidance from relevant Project Engineer, Technical Authority, Line Manager or Placement Manager where necessary
• Demonstrate commitment to engineering values, sustainability and continuing professional development
• Proactively engage in preparation and maintenance of the Project Risk and Opportunity Register
• Identify, record and show mitigation of technical and operational risk
• Identify opportunities for the project.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist tendering as part of a technical team where required and as directed by the Tendering Engineer Lead
• Assist and learn from the engineering team with regards to the Technical Review of Client scope of work and supporting documents including drawings, specifications and reports
• Assist with and where appropriate develop installation methodologies to suit Bibby Offshore vessels inclusive of method statements, sketches of drawings and suitable technical verification analysis
• Assist with developing offshore schedule and input into Contract Control Schedule
• Prepare and address technical clarification issues throughout the tendering process to ensure all client and company requirements are met
• Attendance at internal and external meetings as required building an understanding of the technical input to the Tendering process
• Attend PEER reviews to build an understanding of the evaluation of engineering solutions in conjunction with the technical team
• Assist with the collation of technical hand over details to the project execution team upon the successful completion of a tendering process
• Assist project team with the review of technical project documentation at contract award highlighting changes and/or discrepancies between pre-award and contract documentation and potential deficiencies in tender method statements
• Assist the project team to co-ordinate and undertake the generation of procurement, fabrication and installation documentation (scopes of work, procedures, drawings, lift plans, sketches, etc)
• Build an understanding of technical accuracy of internal and third party procurement, fabrication and installation documentation including compliance with contract requirements
• Assist with highlighting scope variations during execution of the offshore engineering activities and compilation of all required supporting evidence and documentation
• Assist with preparation of and deliver presentations on the offshore construction techniques and methods during third party reviews and Risk Assessments
• Support management of project interfaces including QHSE, Vessel, Supply Chain and Logistics
• Assist the acceptance process on completion of fabrication activities and co-ordinate the preparation of fabrication “as-built” documentation packages
• Identification of materials and equipment required for the scope and input of project demands in IFS
• Assist with preparation of and deliver project briefings to Offshore Vessel personnel
• Ensure offshore personnel involved with the project works fully understand all relevant project documentation and requirements to include all safety and quality related witness points
• Build an understanding of technical accuracy and compliance of offshore construction and inspection activities with contract requirements, (i.e. witness and hold points)
• Learn and understand typical resolutions of technical queries and issues raised during the performance of offshore construction and inspection activities (including co-ordination with onshore support where appropriate)
• Where applicable, compile and work with Dive / ROV Supervisor in generation of Dive Plans
• Review Daily Progress Reports (prior to issue) for technical accuracy and completeness
• Expediting of third party equipment on-hire, off-hire and breakdown reporting
• Delivery and return of all project equipment
• Assist with the collation of information required for as-built reporting
• Assist with the compilation of “as-built” documentation
• Collate and communicate technical lessons learned
The Graduate Project Engineer may also be required to support special projects to assist business improvement, including but not limited to:
• Research and Development Projects
• Support development of internal systems and processes in line with advances in industry practice and company growth.
• Any other delegated responsibilities as instructed by Line Management within the timeframe specified, in a safe and efficient manner to meet business requirements, provided the instruction is reasonable and you are capable and deemed competent to fulfil these
In addition to supporting project operations, a number of compulsory placements will be undertaken during the Graduate Scheme including:
• Work with the discipline engineering department in order to understand the application of Dynamic Analysis, Structural Engineering, Lifting Procedures, Fabrication and Draughting team in relation to a project
Assets and Services (AAS)
• Gain an understanding of the planned and reactive maintenance involved in ensuring the company fleet of vessels are available for operation with minimum downtime possible
• Gain an understanding of ROV, Survey and Inspection Operations and apply knowledge of ASS processes to support the operations ASS department interfaces
• Working with the Supply Chain department to understanding role of Logistics, Material Handling and Procurement in relation to projects and the greater business
• Understand the use and application of IFS
• Working with Contracts Engineers to gain an understanding of the tendering process.
• Gain an understanding of contractual risk and mitigations.
• Gain an understanding of contractual negotiations
• Gain an understanding of commercial advantage, market conditions and maximising revenue opportunities
• Work with QHSE department to gain understanding of the content and the application of the QHSE plan
• Work with QHSE department to gain a full understanding of the risk management process, attending risk management meetings and participating in discussions and reporting
• Work with QHSE department to gain an understanding of the bridge process between Bibby safety systems and those of customers and suppliers
• Work with Project Accountants and Contracts Engineers to gain an understanding of the importance of project cost reporting to the businesses financial reporting process
• Understand the importance of invoicing to cash flow and of variation orders to income.
Main Duties and Responsibilities: Health, Safety and the Environment
All employees have a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 to:
• Take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by what you do or do not do
• Co-operate with your employer on health and safety matters
• Correctly use work items provided by your employer, including personal protective equipment, in accordance with training or instructions
• Not to interfere with or misuse anything provided for your health and safety or welfare
Bibby Offshore requires that all employees participate actively in ALL QHSE activities and promote safe systems and practices as an integrated management approach to business.
All personnel are required to abide by the Environmental Protection processes in place at Bibby Offshore and to actively participate in REDUCING, REUSING and RECYCLING schemes in place. All efforts to reduce emissions of Green House Gases through elimination, substitution, reduction or new / improved technologies must be considered through all activities.
Experience, Competency and Skill Requirement:
Competence is defined by your ability and willingness to meet all of the responsibilities and accountabilities as stated in this Job Description and the Competency Framework for your role, where applicable.
Training Matrix: CT-TM-003-01
• Experienced in the use and application of computer aided design software
• Understanding of computational analysis software such as FEA and MATHCAD
• Competent Microsoft Office Suite user
• Excellent communication and organisational skills
• BEng Degree or expected degree from a reputable academic institution in Mechanical, Structural, Civil, Marine or Naval engineering at 2:1 level or above
• Graduate Project Engineers are required to pursue Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status by engaging in a Monitored Professional Development Scheme that is backed by a UK Engineering Council licensed professional engineering institution, such as IMechE, IMarEST, etc.
• Understanding of offshore industry software such as Orcaflex and STAAD
• Relevant industrial placement work experience
• MEng Degree or expected degree in Mechanical, Structural, Civil, Marine or Naval engineering, accredited by a UK Engineering Council licensed professional engineering institution, such as IMechE, IMarEST, etc.
If you would like to apply for this position and become part of our team delivering big ideas and big solutions, please select apply online and complete your application and attach your CV.